27 January 2010

Upright Citizens Brigade


Live comedy is one of my favourite ways to spend a night. What more could one want than a night full of stomach pain, cheek pain and shortness of breath? Sunday night was my first excursion to the Upright Citizens Brigade in Los Angeles. It is a small theatre with perhaps 30 or 40 seats (I am not the best at guessing amounts of any sort). The line starts forming and growing about 25 minutes before the show. The venue does not sell alcohol and has a few signs stating it is a 'alcohol free venue'. Bringing your own beverage is the standard and there is a recycling bin for your cans and glass as you leave.

I personally saw an improv night called 'Shitty Jobs'. So one hour of improvisation about shitty jobs audience members have had (or is) experiencing. I really enjoyed the actors (there were 7 of them) along with the audience participation.
There is something about improvisation that I am more partial to. Something about actors being able to think on their feet and create entertaining commentary, actions and situations impress me. ...I used to act when I was younger, and man improv is sooo hard for me!


I highly recommend for people in the Los Angeles area to support their local comedy club and actors by checking out the Citizens Upright Brigade.

No comments: