07 February 2010

the smell of grapes








I headed for Santa Barbara for wine, film and reconnecting.

Wine tasting was incredible. Three different wineries included fantastic wines (oh Pinot Noir and Cabs) and beautiful food. Gainey Vineyard was the first on the list. (http://www.gaineyvineyard.com/) It is located (along with the other two wineries) in Santa Ynez and the grounds were beautiful. The tasting bar was made of dark woods and chandeliers made of iron and candles. Although the winery was beautiful the tasting bar was not my favourite experience. The wine server was dressed like a slob...not to mention he wore a backwards baseball cap. The music playing at the tasting bar quickly got on my nerves. Who wants to listen to cheesy pop songs while tasting wine?
Roblar Winery was next. (http://www.roblarwinery.com/) I decided not to wine taste, but to enjoy food. Roblar is not only know for their wine, but for their food. There is a large herb garden right outside of the kitchen and there are cooking classes available for purchase. I decided to try a panini. But this was not any panini. The bread was ciabatta, inside was layered with fresh basil leaves, prosciutto, asiago cheese, sprouts and truffle oil. It was one the most beautiful sandwiches I have ever had. It was salty, but earthy with a hint of bitter/spice. I do love incredible food. Not to mention the service was relaxed, helpful and professional. The music playing through the high ceilings and the wide circular bar of the tasting room was relaxing. The tasting room was beautifully decorated with simplicity and understatements which accentuated the elegance of the large windows and the immense fireplace.
The last winery on the list was Bridlewood. (http://www.bridlewoodwinery.com/) I found this tasting room to be just as beautiful as Gainey and Roblar, but with a professional, but very friendly server. I enjoyed the service of Bridlewood the most because of the professional but knowledgeable and sociable server. The driveway up to the tasting room was lined with trees that had shed their leaves for the winter. It was a bautiful and calm experience.

I am not a professional wine taster, but I very much enjoyed all of the wine I tasted (probably because it was not 2 Buck Chuck!) I wish I had more money to spend on wine and food pairing, but that will have to wait for another wine country visit.

Wine tasting was the perfect way to relax my mind and get back to the basics of what I enjoy in life

No comments: